Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 7 Stonehenge and Roman Baths

Today we made a quick stop at Stonehenge which was pretty cool. It was a beautiful day but my roomies and I were still riding the struggle bus from the night before.

We walked around and took some pictures. Then I listened to several discussions on how Stonehenge was obviously built by aliens. Haven't really formed my opinion on that yet.

We had a VERY informative tour guide who made sure that we didn't miss a thing, including the pigs on the side of the road which she referred to them as piggy porkers and discussed why pigs should be free range.

After the drive from Stonehenge we arrived in Bath which was my favorite city we have visited so far. If I ever moved anywhere in England this would be the place. The buildings are amazing, there are street performers and musicians performing everywhere and they are all awesome! My camera, video camera and cell phone were all dead so I wasn't able to get any pictures of videos of them. :(

The Roman Baths were incredible. I didn't know that there were ruins underneath the baths that are there now. It was very interesting to do the tour and find out how the Romans thought that the heated spring was a gift from the gods. They used the baths as a place of healing a relaxation. they believed that the baths had healing powers, the myth that surrounds the founding of Bath says that a man was banished by his family because he had leprosy and was sent to live in the country. When he arrived in what is now Bath he saw pigs with blisters and all sorts of gross disease infested things all over them but when the entered the heated water they would come out clean and healed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment